Step into history at this fully restored station, the first to be built on the Traralgon-Stratford line.
The old Glengarry Railway Station, which was originally named La Trobe Railway Station, is the only* railway station remaining on the Gippsland Plains Rail Trail and is the site of the Glengarry trailhead.
The station opened in 1883 with the initial construction of the line running from Traralgon to Heyfield, via Glengarry. The line was eventually extended to Maffra in 1887, and from there, rejoined the main Melbourne-Orbost line at Stratford. For many years this line was a vital link to the larger centers of Traralgon and Maffra, but passenger services on the line ceased in 1977, and regular freight services ceased in 1983.
Today, the station building and platform siding have been restored and currently operate as a cafe.
*Note: Railway stations are also located in Railway Place, Maffra and Dixon Street, Stratford, but these are not on the trail proper.