Avon River Crossing, Stratford

The Avon River was named by Angus McMillan in 1839. It flows into Lake Wellington, which is the most western of the Gippsland Lakes. The river rises on the slopes of Mount Wellington (altitude 1634m) in the eastern highlands and flows south to Lake Wellington. The major tributaries of the Avon River include Valencia Creek, Freestone Creek and the Perry River which joins just before Lake Wellington.
 
The river's
upper reaches are contained in the rugged, heavily forested and largely inaccessible Avon Wilderness Park. The river passes through forested hillsides, then cleared agricultural land. Around Stratford the river has dug a wide channel up to 500 metres across, composed mainly of sand banks and pebble banks. The river then forms a boundary for the Macallister Irrigation District, with Nuntin Creek joining 10 km below Stratford contributing a large amount of irrigation drainage to the river.
 
The river was important to the local Gunai/Kurnai indigenous people, highlighted by Knob Reserve, 3 km south of Stratford, being part of the Gunai/Kurnai Bataluk Cultural Trail. The trail highlights the places of cultural significance to the first inhabitants across East Gippsland.
 

Address

  • Street: Princes Highway
  • City: Stratford. 3862
  • State: Victoria

On the map

Fill in your address into the address field below the map and the shortest route will be calculated.

social fb

button-brichure

button-map

button-guide
© Copyright 2013 Central Gippsland | All Rights Reserved | Website by Y Media